Your browser doesn't support javascript.

Biblioteca Virtual em Saúde

Brasil

Home > Pesquisa > ()
Imprimir Exportar

Formato de exportação:

Exportar

Email
Adicionar mais destinatários
| |

Comparative Study of Cytology and Histopathology of Cervical Lesion in VIA Positive Patients and Its Correlation with High Risk Human Papilloma Virus.

Ansari, N P; Saleh, F M; Shahida, S M; Rahman, E N.
Mymensingh Med J; 26(3): 505-513, 2017 07.
Artigo em Inglês | MEDLINE | ID: mdl-28919602
Cervical cancer is the second most frequent type of cancer and leading cause of mortality among women worldwide. The present study was undertaken to assess precancerous and cancerous cervical lesion by cytology as well as HPV DNA identification and their comparison with histopathology in VIA positive cases. This descriptive, cross-sectional type of observational study was carried out in the Department of Pathology, Mymensingh Medical College in collaboration with the Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics, Mymensingh Medical College Hospital and Department of Microbiology and Hygiene in Bangladesh Agriculture University for HPV DNA detection from July 2012 to June 2013. Study was carried out among 160 VIA positive patients and selected by non-random judgment sampling from the colposcopy clinic. Out of 160 cases, only 40(25.00%) were found HPV DNA positive, while the rest 120(75.00%) cases were negative. Among positive cases 77.50% were cancerous cases and 22.50% were precancerous cases. It was further revealed that in cancerous cases, 86.11% were HPV DNA positive. PCR showed low sensitivity, probably due to sampling error and inclusion of all cases (chronic cervicitis, precancerous and cancerous lesion). The statistical value of accuracy, sensitivity and specificity of Pap smear cytology, HPV DNA test and histopathology yielded some important directives. The sensitivity values of Pap smear cytology and HPV DNA were found 87.50% and 88.89% respectively. Thus Pap smear test showed almost equal sensitivity to DNA test. The accuracy of the Pap smears and HPV DNA in this study was 88.13% and 96.88% respectively. The accuracy of Pap smears is lower than HPV DNA tests. The present study show significant relationship between cytological with HPV DNA test and histopathological diagnosis. But cytology and HPV DNA testing are not suitable as a single test. In conclusion, it can be stated that combination cytology (Pap smear), histopathology and new technologies such as HPV DNA typing would ultimately be more useful.
Selo DaSilva